Mid-level Backend Engineer
Pico is looking for a Mid-level Backend Engineer to join our fast-growing, mission-driven team. We believe that a strong democracy requires a robust Fourth Estate. That's why we're committed to building a sustainable revenue model for news media in the age of Facebook and Google. As an engineer joining our team, you should feel comfortable wearing multiple hats, working collaboratively with both fellow engineers and the company's founders, and adapting quickly to user feedback.
- Participate in the product design process to craft great experiences for our users and partners
- Leave the code in a better condition than it was the day before, every day
- Participate in peer code reviews
- Communicate and work with our distributed development team to deliver features with quality and efficiency
- Assist with application deployments in our cloud environment
- Computer science degree or equivalent work experience (3-5 years)
- Experience with Node.js
- Strong knowledge of HTTP and RESTful API services
- RDBS and NoSQL experience, particularly MariaDB
- Experience with AWS or other IAAS platforms
- Experience with Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment
- Experience with test-driven development or behavior-driven development
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, especially when articulating complex and technical concepts to non-technical audiences
Bonus (experience with any of the following):
- Experience with Docker or other containerization technologies
- Experience with Elasticsearch and Kibana
- Experience with React.js
- Experience with CircleCI or similar CI/CD product
To apply for this role, please email your resume to email@example.com.
Our Interview Process
We look forward to learning as much as we can about your skills and interests, but we also aim to be respectful of your time. Below are the 3 steps to joining the Pico team:
- Email your resume (and portfolio, if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org, and someone at Pico will review it within one week. If we are interested in learning more, you will be asked to make time for a 30-minute phone call with a founder of the company.
- Following your phone interview, you will be asked to complete a take-home assignment at your earliest convenience. We recommend setting aside 2 hours to complete the assignment.
- Once you submit your work for the take-home assignment, the entire team at Pico will review and discuss it together within one week. If your work is well-received by the team, you will be invited to come to our office for an on-site interview, which consists of 3 parts over the course of approximately 90 minutes: (1) discussing your work on the take-home assignment with the team, (2) working on a coding challenge alongside a Pico engineer, and (3) chatting once more with a founder of the company. If everyone at Pico is enthusiastic about having you join the team, you can expect to receive a job offer within 1-2 weeks of your on-site interview. If everyone at Pico is enthusiastic about having you join the team, you can expect to receive a job offer within 1-2 weeks of your on-site interview.